DUMC: A STEPHEN MINISTRY CONGREGATION
“Our Stephen Ministry exists to serve God by bringing Christ’s healing love to hurting people.”
WHAT IS STEPHEN MINISTRY?
Our congregation’s Stephen Ministry equips lay people to provide confidential, one-to-one Christian care to individuals in our congregation and community who are experiencing difficulties in their lives.
A STEPHEN MINISTER IS……..
• A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting
• A congregation member with gifts for caregiving who was carefully selected to serve in this role
• A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in providing emotional and spiritual care. In addition, the Stephen Minister participates in twice-monthly supervision classes with the Stephen Leaders to continue training and discuss care receiver concerns
• A caring, Christian friend who listens, cares, prays, supports, and encourages
• Someone who will “be there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for about an hour each week, for as long as there’s a need.
Watch this video below to learn more about how the Stephen Ministry has helped people in our congregation